Friday, September 14, 2018

Self-Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

I would like to utilize this email to allow you to know more about me. My name is Clement Tan and I am currently a year 1 telematics student attending your technical communication seminar for the first time. 

I graduated from Republic Polytechnic in 2016 with a diploma in civil aviation before serving my national service. Being a person who have developed an interest in the transportation industries, I decided to take on the telematics programme to further enhance my knowledge and skills. One of my hobbies includes kart racing, as the sport allows me to have an exhilarating experience which in turn helps me to relieve the stress and frustrations that are built up over a certain period of time. It is also through kart racing where I get to meet and know people coming from different walks of life with a common interest. 

I have identified one of my strengths to be open-minded. In addition, I believe that I have the ability to adapt to situations easily as well as understanding the differences between individual opinions. As for my weakness, it involves listening. To elaborate, I am a person who enjoy having conversations with others, but sometimes I tend to jump into assumptions or even interrupt the conversation without listening to it entirely. I seek to improve and prevent such situations from taking place. Personally, I believe if I were to take a step back, it will aid me in becoming a good listener. This will allow me to respond effectively and appropriately to the people I am conversing with.   

My goals for this module is to refine my self-presentation skills, allowing me to improve my presentation as an individual. On top of that, the unlimited opportunities in school and classes will also enable me to practice active listening, allowing me to benefit in the area of communications skills.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to learn more about me. I look forward to attending your future seminars in the upcoming weeks.

Yours Sincerely,
Clement

Blogs commented on:
- Danny
- Ahmad

Last edited on: 05th October 2018


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pros:
      - Well written Subject
      - 1st paragraph kept neat with a basic self introduction
      - Well shown command of English
      - Well written ending with a form of gratitude towards the recipient
      - Did not divert from the main subject, well planned writing

      Cons:
      - From the 2nd paragraph 5th line "helps me to relive the stress", "relieve" instead of "relive"

      Delete
    2. Good Day Amos,

      Thank you for your valuable feedback on my work. I will take note of your comments and work on the mistakes to improve myself.

      Best Regards,
      Clement

      Delete
  2. Hi Clement,

    It is really cool to know that kart racing is your hobby as Singapore has only a few Go Kart outlet.

    I think it will be good to have a spelling check. Case in point, relieve is written wrongly.
    It will be great to have short sentences instead of one full sentence for the second last paragraph.

    It is great to have a better understanding of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jia Ying,

      Thank you for providing me with your kind feedback! I will take extra precaution in my future work to prevent myself from making the same mistake again.

      Best Regards,
      Clement

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Dear Clement,

      Thanks for sharing in this detailed descriptive reflection. The post is informative while also being generally clear and concise. I enjoyed learning about your various interests, including kart racing. You mentioning that brought up memories for me since when I was a small boy my father was an avid 'go-kart' racer, and he would allow me to ride with him or drive as well. Exhilirating indeed!

      I also enjoyed learning about your strengths and weaknesses in communication, and I appreciate how you already have a goal in mind on how to address your weaknesses.

      There are a few sentences in this letter that have minor problems I'd like to point out. However, I can't seem to cut and paste.

      In the second sentence of the second paragraph, there is an issue with subject-verb disagreement. Also, in the last sentence of that paragraph, there is a minor issue with sentence structure. Maybe you can ask me about that.

      I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

      Cheers,

      Brad

      Delete
    4. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for your constructive feedback on my blog. I will take into account your advice and improve my writing in the future. I will look for you after class to learn more about the mistakes I have made.

      Best Regards,
      Clement

      Delete

Final Reflection

Looking back at the goals I have set for myself at the beginning of this module, I feel that I have improved as an individual. However, th...